Ottawa County farm hosts Breakfast on the Farm July 13 in Coopersville
posted on June 6, 2013 1:46pm
EAST LANSING, Mich. – Arlyn and Kathy Walt of Walt Dairy Farm will host a family-friendly Breakfast on the Farm event Saturday, July 13 in Coopersville. This free, educational event gives non-farm neighbors a chance to see what modern food production is all about. This event will take place at Walt Dairy Farm, 8099 Arthur Street, Coopersville, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Breakfast will be served from 9 a.m. to noon.
Guests will enjoy a free (with ticket) pancake breakfast featuring Michigan-made products and self-guided tours of the farm, where visitors can learn where milk comes from and the life cycle of a dairy cow.
Tours will include educational exhibits where volunteers will be available to answer questions. Children will enjoy witnessing where cows are milked and engaging in various other fun activities to learn about how food gets from the farm to the store.
“We’re really fortunate to be one of the chosen farms to host Breakfast on the Farm this year,” said Arlyn Walt, farm owner. “We’re really passionate about what we do, and we want to show the consumer how much we love producing delicious and wholesome food to eat.”
The farm tour and breakfast are free, but tickets are required to eat breakfast. Free tickets can be obtained at the following locations after June 13:
- Allendale: Bob Gary/Bob Willard Farm Bureau Insurance Agencies; Bob Meyer Farm Bureau Insurance Agency; Family Fare (customer service desk)
- Coopersville: Family Fare (customer service desk); Coopersville Area District Library; West Michigan Veterinary Services
- Jenison: Family Fare (customer service desk); Tom Jager Farm Bureau Insurance Agency
- Grand Haven: Jim Humphrey Farm Bureau Insurance Agency; Landon Sustaita Farm Bureau Insurance Agency
- Grand Rapids: Andy Brummel/Mike Thomasma Farm Bureau Insurance Agencies; Downtown Farmers Market (Crisp Country Acres booth); Fulton Street Farmers Market (Visser Farms booth)
- Grandville: Farm Bureau ASO Office
- Holland: Cal Timmer Farm Bureau Insurance Agency; Family Fare (customer service desk); Greg Peterson/Nolan Kamer Farm Bureau Insurance Agencies; Holland Farmers Market (Visser Farms booth); Mark Hop Farm Bureau Insurance Agency
- Hudsonville: Family Fare (customer service desk); John Fanthorpe Farm Bureau Insurance Agency; Randy Katerberg Farm Bureau Insurance Agency
- Muskegon: Muskegon County MSU Extension
- Ravenna: Ravenna Township Library
- Sparta: Sparta Township Library
- Spring Lake: John Queen Farm Bureau Insurance Agency
- West Olive: Ottawa County MSU Extension
- Zeeland: Family Fare (customer service desk)
The remaining dates and Breakfast on the Farm host farms for 2013 are:
- July 13, Walt Dairy Farm, Coopersville (Ottawa County).
- Aug. 17, Humm Farm LLC, Breckenridge (Gratiot County).
- Sept. 7, Black Locust Farms LLC, Stanton (Montcalm County).
- Sept. 21, Ferry Farms LLC, Litchfield (Hillsdale County).
Breakfast on the Farm is a Michigan State University (MSU) Extension program. More than 175 local volunteers help organize and implement each event.
To find out more about Breakfast on the Farm, to learn how to apply to be a host farm or to see pictures from past events, please visit www.breakfastonthefarm.com.